Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Power of Intention: Don't Even Swat the Fly!

“Consciousness in the Everyday” Series

The lesson I was attempting to implement was the power of setting my intention, then just letting go and just “BE.”By happenstance, the fly entered the picture, reinforcing my lesson in a more powerful way.

Let me share with you the story of the fly.

He came through the sliding door to my backyard. Although it was only ajar for a few minutes, this huge fly had managed to slip through the screen door and into the kitchen/dining area of my home.

I thought of how I’d get the fly back into the yard. I knew it would be a huge job, and I pictured myself running all over the place, probably breaking things, as I tried to swat him.

I was in a peaceful frame of mind that late afternoon, so I decided that the matter of the fly had to be dealt with later.

I climbed upstairs and left the fly to his own “being-ness,” forgetting all about him.

Later that night, I went into the bathroom, upstairs, and noticed the fly had managed to work his way in there.

NOW...what do I do?

Again, I did not relish getting all worked up and doing gymnastics all over the bathroom, trying to “get” the fly. Fortunately, I noticed he’d settled on the screen door. So, all I had to do, then, was to close the half-open window and stop him from getting air.

Ah! I’d found a solution.

I quickly slammed the window close, letting the fly just “be.”
I forgot all about him until several hours later when I went back into the bathroom. I could still see his outline in the window. He was still moving around, probably alive from the little air that was seeping through.

Oh...well.

I went to bed.

Early the next morning, thoughts about the “fly in the window” flooded my memory, as I got ready to shower. There he was....still resting on the screen, not moving, but...still alive.

I needed to open the window, not to fog the bathroom, as I showered. What do I do about the fly?

I opened the window...swatted him without much force...took a paper towel to capture his remains and...flushed him down the toilet! That’s all I did.

The “pest” was gone. No jumping around...no breaking things...no disturbing my peace.

I’d done nothing but set my intention to remain “peaceful,” “let go” and just “be.”

How often do we do this in our lives?

Do we simply set our intention on a matter, do what we need to do to set things in place, then just “be,” letting things unfold in a natural, non-resistant way? Or do we often get anxious and start “stirring” things up?

How often do we NOT get involved to “swat” the situation?

In Hamlet, William Shakespeare said it in another context, but it still is relevant here: “To Be or Not To Be, That is the question.”

In life when we have a goal, we often cannot “be” still. We have to take action.

I think to times when I said I wanted to just “be,” not do anything and not go anywhere. Then, I set about reading a book, talking on the phone, writing, thinking...yes...thinking...yes...thinking...sometimes meditating.

To “Be,”or Not to “Be."

“Be” Still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46: 10).


No actions. No thoughts. No visualizing while meditating...just observing your breathing...in...and... out.

When you set your intentions on a matter, learn to then let go and just...

Be!*

Namaste’,

Che’

*Woman with Flower
by Naomi Long Madgett

I wouldn’t coax the plant if I were you.
Such watchful nurturing may do it harm.
Let the soil rest from so much digging
And wait until it’s dry before you water it.
The leaf’s inclined to find its own direction;
Give it a chance to seek the sunlight for itself.

Much growth is stunted by too much prodding.
Too eager tenderness.
The things we love we have to learn to leave alone.

No comments:

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.