Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Saturday, July 19, 2008

I met Christian in a laundromat...Tony...and... Brenda, too: Truly Sharing Life!

We’re often so locked into our worlds at work, at home, with our immediate family members and friends that we sometimes don’t make room for anyone, or anything, else. I was reminded of this “safe-world” community we tend to build around ourselves recently when I visited a laundromat. This visit was a clear reminder to expand my world...my life...my joy!

I was preparing for guests this weekend and wanted the comforters and everything in the guest room to be perfect. So, I headed with these large items to the laundromat, mid-morning, one recent weekday. I’m so glad I had the occasion.

In my heart, I still carry the memories of joy and love I shared with Christian, a four-year old boy. Then...there was Tony, too, whom I met and shared a sacred moment. Then, too, there was Brenda.

Let’s start with Christian,” my four-year-old friend.

I had just slammed the washer shut and was turning away to attend to something else, when Christian stopped me in my tracks. I looked down and smiled at him. He came closer. I smiled some more. But Christian would not move! He wanted me to speak to him. He blocked my way, with his little four-year-old body and...with determination. I acquiesced. He had my attention.

“What is your name?” I asked. He lifted four fingers to show me his age.
Realizing that he mostly spoke Spanish I quickly asked in Spanish his name. “Christian,” he boldly and quickly said with a smile. “Hi, Christian. You’re four years old?” I asked, continuing to test my limited Spanish capabilities. He nodded. I rubbed his head.

Our friendship had begun.

Christian followed me, with his mother’s approval, to get extra change from the coin machine. He collected the quarters, while I put in the dollar bills. He was so happy to be my “assistant.”

When I settled on a bench to tie his shoe laces, Christian was beyond thrilled. He gave me such an unequivocal smile of love. It truly melted my heart!

Such a little thing I'd done......yet it meant so much to him.

Before he left, I gave him a gold dollar, closely hugging him. “Keep this safe,” I told him. He smiled as he waved goodbye.

Two minutes later, I looked up...there was Christian...again.

He’d returned from his mother’s car to offer me a gift of thank you: “Air Heads” candy!

Now, he had the opportunity to see me smile just as widely as he had when I’d tied his shoe laces.

He wanted to see my pleasure as I unwrapped then, ate, the candy. I would not oblige, as I rarely, if ever, eat candy. But I told him, "I will eat it...and enjoy it." He nodded, showing me that the candy stretches and in that is the real JOY!

I wanted to reach into my purse to find anything of sentimental, but lasting, value to give Christian. There! The rosary mailed to me by The Basilica of the National Shrine, Washington, DC, just a few weeks ago. I placed it over his head and around his neck. I touched him and said, ”Be Blessed Christian. Be Blessed.”

He was solemn as he left, but he was proud of the rosary beads hanging around his neck.

I reflected for a long time on Christian, tears in my eyes, as I thought of the “gift” of Spirit I’d experienced that day. Christian must have felt the need for affection and attention that day, as his mother had a months-old daughter in a carrier, who, on and off, was crying for attention.

Then, I went out to my car for a brief moment, and there I met Tony.

“I love your car,” he said. He turned to his girlfriend and repeated to her that he “LOVE (s) this car!”

I explained my car was almost 10 years old...but, yes, I loved it too.

Tony was in the laundromat about five minutes later to collect his clothes. Once again... he exclaimed about my car.

I told him,”You can have one too, if you’d like.” He seemed surprised.

I told him that he only had to believe that he could ...then, he, too, could achieve it.

I spoke some more about achieving through believing.

He stopped me and said, "It’s so strange you would be telling me this. It’s only recently I decided to move closer to God.”

I reinforced the message of Spirit within and told him that through life, all he really, really needed to do was to focus on the power within him. Through that connection, I told Tony, “You can do anything!”

Tony left, seemingly very grateful for our exchange...and yes...seeming very hopeful!

I moved to the back of the laundromat to fold my bulky comforters.

There was Brenda.

“It’s a nice day,” she said to me.

“Yes, nice...but hot.” I said

“Oh, I love the heat,” Brenda said. “That way, I get to sweat off the fat.”

We laughed and continued talking about the heat, with her reinforcing that she knows she loses weight when the weather is hot.

“I go out in the garden in 90-plus degree temperature, and I mow the lawn or do something physical,” Brenda said. “That way, the excess weight rolls off. I love the heat for that.”

Brenda and I continued our exchange. I’d learned something new: yes, heat would melt any excess fat, wouldn’t it? So...begin to appreciate the heat!

I said goodbye to Brenda, thanking her for the time she’d shared.

I finally headed out to my car, after 90 minutes at what had now become the "Laundromat!"

Ninety minutes... outside the confines of my home and my busyness.

Ninety minutes...of sharing love with a four-year-old boy...giving hope to a young man...gaining insight from a knowledgeable person.

Only ninety minutes ...once a month, if possible, to experience life anywhere... outside our “normal” zone...beyond the confines of our homes...our world... our people and...into...LIFE!

Spirit is in the laundromat! It’s in every place we choose to look.

Love is in the eyes of a stranger, not just those of our family.

Caring is in the words of a stranger, not just in those of your lover and best friends.

Reach and expand your world. You will enrich your life!

Namaste’,

Che’

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful day you had in an "ordinary" setting. I too experienced a beautiful occurance in a natural setting. Sometimes so preoccupied with my own "stuff" I often miss it, but like you have brought forth here, there are no chance encounters, all in "divine order" as you taught me to see and say. Love ya.

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.