Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Awakening to Your Life's Purpose" ...A Recommendation.

This past Monday I had just parked my cart and prepared to wait in the long line at Costco, when I saw the guy in front of me with NO cart...but his hands were full! At Costco...no cart!

Then I looked at what he was holding, it was about eight copies of the book, "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose," by Eckhart Tolle. I know Oprah Winfrey has been blabbing about the book for months now and about having an on-line class. Well, lately, Oprah hasn't been one of my favorite people, so I really wasn't focused on supporting another one of her "causes."

Out of curiosity, though, I asked my co-shopper, an Asian man, "Why are you buying EIGHT copies?" He quickly explained that he'd read the book, loved the message, and now felt compelled to share it with his friends. He further explained to me that although he has never really gotten involved in any Book Club, he had even logged on and joined Oprah's because he wanted to participate in the on-line class and discussions.

Being into the stuff I'm into, obviously I felt I was missing a good message in Tolle's book just because of my current resistance to Oprah-mania.... I KNEW I was bigger than that. Plus, I'd somewhat enjoyed Tolle's first book, "The Power of Now."

So I asked my new friend to hold my place in line while I tried as quickly as I could to grab a copy from the book section. My friend was so happy to oblige...he took possession of my cart.

I got home that holiday night, President's Day, and I started reading "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose."

Wow!

All the stuff that I had studied for so many years and had "grown through" and am still growing through...all beautifully explained in Tolle's book. The stuff about how our EGO is the true "devil" in our lives, separating us from our connection to the Spirit within us. How the EGO's negative and questioning voice is all we hear all...day...long.

When I'd first heard about the book, much as I appreciate the movements on protecting the environment, I didn't want to read a book about the environment and about going green. Certainly, a book...labeled "A New Earth" would be about that. It totally is NOT!

It's all about the stuff we need to know about EVERY day as we go out and try to interact with other people in the corporate world... in our jobs...with our spouses...partners...friends...and just people!

What Tolle does especially well is to break down all the spiritual stuff into
easy- to-understand examples. He has a wonderful way in the book of taking stuff that others would make and think controversial and just stating his "truth" and moving on. "Awakening to Your Life's Purpose" is not a book you will want to put down! The material in the book also is not stuff you can ignore. It's in your face...it's there...it's what we do every day, separate ourselves from our ESSENCE...our SPIRIT...our true selves.

I really appreciate this book by Tolle!

I appreciate it so much that I, too, like my Asian friend, signed up for the first time to join a Book Club so that I can take the on-line class, starting on March 3.

I'm not quite finished with the book...but I've read enough to know that it is a GIFT. I will finish it off soon...in time for March 3!

I invite you to join me and my new friend to connect closer to your Spirit by reading Tolle's book, then joining us in the on-line discussions at oprah.com. You owe this to yourself... to your Spirit.

Namaste',

Che'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Che'!
I finished 'The New Earth' this afternoon! 'The Power of NOW' had changed my life but Tolle's new book is LIFE-TRANSFORMING!

What serendipity, like you, I signed up for Opraph's bookclub... something I would have never done in the past, but I was compelled to join in on the discussion of such amazing teaching!

I am going to be attending his event in San Diego in March.

LIke your Asian friend at Costco, I ordered books through Barnes & Noble to give to a friend. :)

Keep your amazing, well-written blogs comming!

Om Shanti,
jeneen.

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.