Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Building Your "Noah's Ark": Who Would You Take With You?

NOTE: Today Unity students the world over are celebrating the annual "World Day of Prayer" with this meditation:
"Rejoicing in our oneness with God and one another, we celebrate healing in every aspect of our lives and in the world."

Unity's World Day of Prayer is an important day for me. That's when I connect to people the world over and celebrate our "oneness in prayer."

Despite this sense of "oneness," as I was coming out of my meditation today, a powerful thing happened to me.

I was asked, “Who would you take into your ark, if you were asked to build one?”


Like Noah, I had only a few people to choose to take into the ark with me, sheltering them and me from the “end time.”

I quickly chose five friends who had faithfully and loyally been through the storms of life with me over the years. Despite whatever differences we have had over the years, there was no one of my seven siblings that I could leave behind.

I then had room for three more people. I quickly picked those three more people, getting the total up to 15. (Of course, everyone I brought in the ark was allowed to bring in their family members as well!)

The thing that was interesting to me is that there was no one else “out there” that I truly felt I’d left behind! This was a shocking exercise to me!

We go through life for many, many years, getting to know people and developing friendships. Then, we reach a certain stage in our lives, where we’re tested by life’s trials. It is during this time that we are given the opportunity of building our Noah’s Ark!

Please don’t miss the opportunity!


There are billions of people on earth. You’ll probably encounter a few million in your lifetime, most from a distance. But then of the hundreds of people who come into your space, you’ll reduce that number down to a few dozen. Then, yet down to a dozen.

If you’re being truly discerning, you’ll have a handful at the end of the period of your trials.

The point of the exercise is that you shouldn’t have to think too hard, because if you think too hard, you’d probably never get the ark built.

People fundamentally are decent people, and we all are walking this life together doing the best we can in our daily interactions with each other.

There is no one I’d truly want to leave behind, if it were the “end time.” But then again...if I had to pick, I’d have no problem doing so.

The question for you: Can you build your ark today, or are you seduced and overwhelmed by the many “friends” you have in your life?

If you have not gone through any trying times, so never had to call upon the strength of others, here’s a simple exercise to help you:

If you were (wrongfully) accused of a crime, who would still show up and support you during your trial?

Do you know?


Then try this: If you were (rightfully) accused of a crime, who would still show up and support you during your trial?

By taking a hard and discerning look at your relationships, you will know without a doubt who you would take into your ark, were you asked to build one.

After my exercise, I felt so much lighter in Soul and Spirit!

I am the type who goes through life making “connections.” There are so many people who have come and gone over the years. Some I’ve missed; others not at all.

Today, as we celebrate the "oneness" of all people, it is also important to know those who are at ONE with you in your humanity and your human frailities!

I’m most grateful for the PRESENCE of all the people I've met over the years whose touch has molded me into "me" today. But I'm even more grateful to those 15 people who have served as my bedrock throughout the years.

Start discerning! Start building!

You may LOVE the WORLD. But it's still important to know WHO your friends are!



Happy World Day of Prayer!

Namaste’,

Che’

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a piece for thinking. I love it. Simply love it. And I too had no family members, and I have 6 siblings. And I ave a niece who is now imprisoned, both mentally and physically, and out of all those friends and associates, she has a handful of "us" by her side. I know that if I were there instead, my numbers would more than likely be fewer. I don't look at it as if I had issues and people ran from me (lol) but that people just are not there for you sometimes. So in my trials and hard times of learning my oft-repeated lessons, I've had few friends stick by. It also made me think, who do I comfort in times of sorrow? Often I try, but sometimes I am slack. Thank you for this, dear friend. You'd be a joy on that ark, by the way.

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.