Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Antiquing vs. Thrift Shopping: How To Truly Bargain Shop This Holiday Season!





I’m using my new mouse for my laptop. I paid $2.99.

The book I’m reviewing next week, “The Power of Intention” by Dr. Wayne Dyer, I purchased unused, i.e. virtually new and in hardcover,
for $2.99, with a 30% discount, as books were on sale that day.

The crayons that were the reason I was in the store, I got for $.50 cents...an entire bag of them!

That’s what you get Thrift shopping!

I’m not an aficionado of the sport, but here’s how I became very interesting in going back.




I was rushing to get home to a document I was working on and I needed a RED marker. So, I thought I’d make a quick stop at Walgreen’s to get it, as it was on my way home. Well, Walgreen’s seemed to have every other color marker but a RED one. Those that I saw were mostly pink. I stepped outside somewhat frustrated. Then, I saw the "Thrift" shop.

I headed over there, thinking that perhaps the shop may have markers. I didn’t know what it had inside, as I’d never been in before.



I immediately saw racks and racks of clothes and nothing that resembled anything else. But I felt that Spirit had led me into the store, so there must be something there for me. I felt I should not just leave.
I decided to go around a bend, and there I saw rows, upon rows, of books.

That was my invitation.


Whenever I’d drop off items at Goodwill, I made sure it was on a Tuesday. That was the day the store had books on sale, and I’d scour the shelves to see if there were books that I needed and had not yet bought. Over time, I’d found some great books at bargain prices.

But in this store, just called, “Thrift Town,” I didn’t expect to find any book that I wanted.


I took a quick walk through, though, seeing many attractive paper backs, but nothing that I wanted to read.



I was stepping away, when I saw it: Wayne Dyer’s "Power of Intention"! For many years I’d resisted purchasing this Dyer book because I felt it would be a repeat of so many of his other books. But now, here, I had NO EXCUSE!


The book was new, and it was selling for only $2.99. That day, this “Thrift Shop” had books at 30% off. I picked it up.

As I was headed to the register, I saw computer parts.

This is how Spirit works with you!

For the longest time, I’d promised to buy a new mouse as my eight-year- old one was finally acting up and seemingly on its last days. Even though I have a state-of-the-art laptop computer, I hesitated spending $60 for a mouse. So, I’d put off the purchase.

Now, here I was at the shelf.

I looked through the very well laid out items and then ...to my amazement...saw a relatively new Microsoft mouse, the EXACT duplicate, to my aging one. It was selling for $2.99. I quickly grabbed it.

Then, I asked one of the clerks for markers. When she took me over to the section, I saw a huge bag of crayons that would serve my purpose even better, so I opted for those instead. The bag of crayons was $.99, but was on sale for $.50 that day.

My total bill: $5.82, tax included, for items that easily would have cost me $85, without including tax.

I’d spent about 15 minutes in the Thrift shop that day. I know I’ll be back there.



The rich call it "antiquing" when they purchase “used” goods from stores. The not-so-rich call it "thrift shopping." But anyway you look at it, you’re paying for used items. Why is it that we shy away from purchasing slightly used items for fractions of the cost we pay for new items?

It all boils down to consciousness.





We’re conscious that it is a "Thrift" shop.

We’re conscious that it suggests that we’re doing less than well if we venture in there.



We’re conscious that the items are donated by the rich, so we want to perceive ourselves as “rich” and don’t want to buy anyone’s “throw offs.”




I doubt that I’d ever buy any items of clothes in that, or any other “thrift” shop.

But why have I hesitated before to purchase things like computer parts, books, and other items that may be useful?

My home is stuffed with “stuff.” Things that I purchased new over the years now are in crates because when I moved out of California for three years, then moved back, I moved into smaller space than I had before.

I honestly gave away as many items as I could. But I’m holding on to these items because in time I know I’ll move again to bigger space, and I’ll need (want) them.

I now know it is just false pride that kept me out of those thrift shops before, looking for bargains.

I’d spend hours at Macy’s, looking and shopping, for bargains. Why not at a thrift shop, when there is so much and for so much less?




Why buy books new, except those I MUST have NOW, instead of at the thrift shop?

I often spent a lot of dollars for “MUST HAVE” items at antique stores. I remember purchasing a decorative piece, made out of bone for a significant sum, in Phoenix, because it was antique. Now that piece is displayed, but it is obscured under an open table in my living room. Why? I’d seen the same item selling for much less at a Chinese store in the Bay Area.



Antiquing or thrift shop? One calls it old; one calls it cheap.

This holiday season, I would encourage you to step outside your usual “roads traveled,” and explore the “antique” shops fitting today’s economy: check the thrift shops.


There are lots of bargains to be had.




If a recipient of one of your gifts asks you where you got such a delightful item, smile simply and say, “At an antique shop!”
They will then think you are, oh, so very special and prize that vase, bowl or decoration so much more!



It’s all about consciousness. Be conscious this holiday season!

Namaste’,

Che’
TEST IT FOR YOURSELF: I DARE you to tell me which of the above pieces are antique and which ones are from the thrift shop!

3 comments:

Che' Vyfhuis said...

READER COMMENT, POSTED FROM E-MAIL:

Marvellous! Of course, I've been doing this all my life and have the photographs and objects to prove it! And after "thrift" shops come the consignment shops, which are easier places to find more "upscale" things, but still at reasonable prices, if not great bargains.. (Of course, your thrift shopping looks as if it comes complete with a moving van!)

POSTED BY CHE'

Che' Vyfhuis said...

READER COMMENT, POSTED FROM E-MAIL:
Che:

"Your article on Thrift Shopping is so timely, I am a trift store junkee, and I shop on Mondays as that is the 25% discount day here in Maryland at the thrift shop I frequent."

POSTED BY CHE'

Unknown said...

This was a delight to read, and yes, it is false pride that I too conveyed when in a tough situation I wanted my Macy's and had to go into a Thrift Shop. But since leaving those Macy's days, I also left the car days when I would wake up early on Saturday to go yard sale hunting! Sometimes I would go into another county to the rich neighborhood. In fact, there was a time of year that area put out things to be disgarded. Once I got a complete stereo system (we still had albums then) with Huge speakers called Utah's. Very expensive. I agree with you about the clothes there, but I did get a great coat at one in Chicago and just washed it.

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.