Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Thursday, January 14, 2010

When Events in the World Shake US UP...


http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/01/13/von.haiti.quake.aftermath.cnn

"The devastation in Haiti is almost too unbearable to watch!"
...were the words of one subscriber in my Facebook community.

I noticed that no one commented back when I wrote,
"God is in the midst of that situation!"


Who, God?

When events in the world shake people up, they wonder about God.

It's then that they KNOW "for sure" that they are NOT in control of their lives and that all their tidy and neat plans about getting rich and famous can go out the window...well...at the shake of ground.

Yes, the situation in Haiti is devastating. The pictures are
shocking and disturbing.




The world does not make sense.

One of the poorest countries in the Northern Hemisphere hit with a catastrophe of mammoth proportions. Dare I say that if a magnitude 7.0 earthquake were to hit northern California, a few lives would have been lost, but not numbering in the tens of thousands.

In fact, a magnitude 6.9 earthquake DID hit northern California in 1989!

The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in the San Francisco Bay Area measured 6.9 on the moment-magnitude scale(surface-wave magnitude 7.1), or 7.0 on the open-ended Richter Scale. The quake killed ONLY (sic) 63 people throughout northern California, injured ONLY (sic) 3,757, leaving some 3,000-12,000 homeless.

Fortunately, for me, I was on business in Los Angeles at the time, and we only felt a slight "tremor" there. The SF Bay Area was hit hard, but it was not "devastated." I dare say a .1 more "moment magnitude" strength would not have resulted in massive loss of lives as we are witnessing in Haiti.


God does not seem to make sense when catastrophic events happen in the world.

"What GOD would cause such bad things to happen?"

On any "normal" day, God makes sense to many.

Those are the days they can get dressed and go about their business and busyness in the world, paying slightly more attention to God than thinking of Sunday morning when they have to roll out of bed, a little earlier than they want, to go to church. For some, it is "for appearances' sake."

I don't like to get cynical when I think of most people and their relationship to God. But I can't help it when people ONLY call God's name and think of praying during the times of mass devastation, destruction and catastrophe.

God should not be in our lives FOR OUR CONVENIENCE!

God is in our lives each moment of every day, whispering to us, directing our lives, keeping us "together," as we go about with our ego-based selves making "headway" in the world.

My world begins and ends with God.

I didn't always used to be that way, of course, but life has taught me. Yes, life has humbled me and "devastated" me. So, I KNOW God is my all in all.

I never called God's name when about 21 years ago, I first realized the Presence of God in MY life AS MY LIFE. At that time, I was "too cool" to know his name.

Yet, when I found myself in total confusion about events happening around me, I detached TOTALLY from those events and was able to RISE above them.

It took days for the events to settle down, and throughout that time, it took me DAYS, too, to come back "DOWN" to earth. While in that suspended state, I felt NOTHING BUT BLISS! I handled only those details I felt called to do and where I felt I could absolutely make a difference.

After that, I realized that ...ALWAYS...always, once left alone, seeming catastrophes worked themselves. After that first "eye opener," I returned to my "normal" state of "living life," forgetting ALL about the experience...and of course, God!

Now, I'm more spiritually mature, I realize I was doing NATURALLY the separation of mind/body/spirit! I was doing what Deepak Chopra calls: "Detachment."

When I experienced a crisis in my life, my EMERGENCY GEAR kicked in...and I was able to rise UP in my Spirit TO COPE WITH WHAT MY MIND AND BODY could not!

That IS the love of GOD!

That IS the POWER of God in our lives...ALL the time!

That is THE SPIRIT OF GOD that remains DORMANT in us, until an emergency situation hits us, and it RISES to the level ABOVE US to ensure we SURVIVE AND THRIVE.


Now I KNOW and am trained NOT to wait for an emergency to FIND THE SPIRIT WITHIN ME.

I wake up, and I reach in.

I walk about, and I reach in.

I go to sleep, and I reach in.

So, it is and can be FOR ALL!

The situation in Haiti does NOT make sense to the human eye in terms of our mind/body, but if we go into the SPIRIT within us, DETACHING totally from the scenes running before our eyes, then WE WILL FIND PEACE!

Within us LIES ALL THE PEACE WE NEED.

We do NOT HAVE TO UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE WORLD!

That is GOD'S DESIGN!


He is NOT OF this world, though HE EXISTS IN THE WORLD...through the very breath that we take!

The God who has the Grand DESIGN is the GOD of the UNIVERSE...he knows down to the tiniest detail everything that happens in the world.

I don't KNOW why the quake took the EARTH from under tens of thousands of people in HAITI. I don't KNOW WHY God welcomed them back into his warm embrace in a matter of seconds or minutes.

But I DO KNOW that if we LOOK at the pictures and the scenes and the "seeming" devastation, the earthquake in Haiti will NEVER, EVER MAKE SENSE.

I encourage you to go within you and SEEK THE ANSWER.

I encourage you to contribute what you can to help, then detach from the "news" and RISE ABOVE and See and FEEL THE TRUTH OF THE LIVING AND LOVING GOD within YOU!

Peace Profound + Namaste',


Che'
NOTE: I dedicate this blog to my two Haitian friends: Dr. Myrta Daniel of Brooklyn, New York + Dr. Firmine Jean-Baptiste, Portland, Oregon. "You're forever in my heart!"
"Breath, Eye, Memory..." by Edwidge Danticat was the May 1998 Oprah Club book pick on the strength of Haitian Women! They will make it back. Go to: http://http://www.oprah.com/book_club.html You CALLED it Oprah! Haitian PEOPLE ARE STRONG!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Posted from e-mail:

"Thanks for the awakening. Very well said and comforting."

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.