Leo Tolstoy on God

LEO TOLSTOY ON GOD: "When you look inside yourself, you see what is called 'your own self' or your soul. You cannot touch it or see it or understand it, but you know it is there. And this part of yourself--that which you cannot understand--is what is called God. God is both around us and inside of us--in our souls.

The more you understand that you are at one with God, the more you will understand that you are at one with all His worldly manifestations."

Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Love For All Things Chinese: Happy Chinese New Year!


Years ago when I'd purchased my home in Hayward, California, the first thing I considered was where I'd place Fuk, Luk and Sau.


They had to be placed in the most prominent part of the home, so they were the first things everyone saw when they walked in.


I had no problem locating the perfect spot: at the top of the platform there was a "bank" that could easily house these large-sized statues, giving them the prominence they deserved.

It isn't that I worshipped "gods," or was Buddhist, as so many people believed when they first walked into my home. It is that I so appreciate the Chinese culture and practices that I'd learned to respect the auspiciousness Fuk, Luk and Sau brought into my home.

They had moved with me from my apartment in Mountain View, and call me superstitious or not, but I believe their presence in my "space" then allowed me to be able to purchase my first home.
Fuk, the god of wealth; Luk, the god of health and Sau, the god of longevity, are the statues to have in your home if you want to attract those conditions into your life.



[Pictured: Luk, left, Fuk, center, and Sau, right.]

I did, and I felt blessed and was blessed.

With that home in Hayward, I didn't stop there with things Chinese.



I decided to fully "Feng Shui" my home. Naturally, when I went out shopping for pieces I stopped at several Chinese stores, so when I was done furnishing my home, it looked like a Chinese person, with great commitment and dedication to the practices, lived there.




Yes, even the protege' of a Chinese master when he visited my home said, "You must have been Chinese in another life!" I took that as a great compliment.

My deep love and appreciation for Chinese people, places and things are innate, and were I to explain it, I would be truly tied-tongued.

[I hope, too, that because of this blog post, I don't attract the attention of those who are "political!"
[Disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with politics, but with culture and practices. I FLY only the US flag in my politics!]

But let's look at what I know from my interaction with Chinese people.


First, they will never stand out in a crowd.
It's not because they are not attractive. NO. It's because they stay "low," remain "humble" and always are "at your service."
[We all can learn from the Chinese culture their two main attributes: Endurance + Humility]

I find Chinese people to be some of the most gracious, loving and respectful people I've encountered on God's Earth, their international reputation and battles, notwithstanding.


For those who think Chinese people are not emotional, then they didn't view the YouTube Video (see link at bottom), when this woman was not allowed to leave the Hong Kong airport as scheduled.

I have found Chinese people to be deeply caring when it comes to things of humanity, though they will never wear their emotions on their sleeves.

Even this fascinates me.

Q: Why?

A: Why not tell the world what you are feeling and what you are thinking?

Q: Why not tell?

A: What good does it serve you or the world for everyone to know what you're thinking ALL the time!




I know it's a great strategy in poker to not let your opponents know your hand by keeping a "poker face." If so, then the Chinese must be masters at poker.

Chinese do not easily divulge their emotions. I so admire this trait that it is one I'm still "attempting" to cultivate!

Keeping your emotions under wraps is one of the greatest strategies for winning.



I remember many years ago while working at a chemical company, my new manager, someone who was about 10 years older than I was and used to be my "friend" until he got promoted, shouted in dismay to me: "I can't tell what you're thinking!"


I truly felt I had won our battle then by not betraying my emotions.
My manager and I went on to have a great relationship, but I had learned the first point in winning with him: don't let him see what you're feeling!


That was my winning ACE with him until I went on to another company, another job.

Over the years, I lost that winning strategy and sometimes gave in and showed my emotions. Those were my losing moments.


At this threshold point of my life, I know what I need to continue to move forward and win.


There are other bits and pieces I've learned through my association with Chinese people: they are generous; they are kind; they are caring; they are loving.


I'm truly grateful that God has put me in the midst of Chinese people, especially here in Fremont. The Chinese were one of the six prominent races in my country, but it is only through my maturity I've sought them and their practices out... and will continue to do so ...where ever I end up in the world.

Why?

It's all about LOVE!

It's all about learning the right way to LIVE LIFE!


Oh...did I actually FORGET to mention: CHINESE FOOD!!!



Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!
Happy Chinese New Year ALL!

xīn nián kuài lè.(新年快樂)
[This is pronounced “sing nee-ann koo-why ler.”]

This, the year of the Tiger, is compatible with the year of the Horse in which I was born.

Just maybe, I was waiting for my RIGHT New Year to begin!


Despite being calm, sometimes, as a horse, I'm sure I can be a "Tiger" too! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!


Namaste' + Love,

Che'
NOTE: The woman in this video had to remain for the next flight to the United States. See how emotional she got! Cut/Paste this link://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVw7entkxg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FROM EMAIL:
Gung Hay Fat Choy! And may the Year of the Tiger unlease strong good forces for you and for all of us!!!

If I want to get these three statues, it's easy for me to go to Chinatown...It sounds like a WONDERFUL idea to have these forces present in our home--we can use all the good influences there are! .... However, I've never heard of the trio of Fuk, Luk, and Sau! I don't have these three statues, all of whose influences I can well use! THANK YOU FOR EDUCATING ME!!!!

Che' Vyfhuis said...

Che's answer to the pronounciation of Fuk, Luk, Sau: "Fook, Luke and Sow!"

Personal Authenticity: "To Thine Own Self Be True"...

"To Thine Own Self Be True and it must follow as the night, the day, Thou canst not then be false to ANY man."
William Shakespeare.